Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer??

Looks as though summer has been delayed or even cancelled this year. This past weekend felt like mid January rather than mid June. Cold and windy. We were spoiled last summer. It was nice every single day but 4 days from April first right through Labor Day. We probably will never see another summer like that ever again.

In any event, I bundled up and ventured down to the waterfront recently and grabbed a few shots.

POSTSCRIPT: As of this writing, the deep holes on the dock at the public boat ramp at Madaket (Walter Barrett's Pier) still have not been filled in. Be very careful when you are launching and retrieving your boat there that you do not fall into these holes and break your leg or ankle.

UPDATE 6/11: JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM SOMEONE LAUNCHING A BOAT AT BARRETT'S PIER IN MADAKET. HE TOLD ME HE FELL INTO ONE OF THE HOLES ON THE DOCK AND ALMOST BROKE HIS ANKLE. IT LOOKS AS THOUGH THE TOWN IS NOT GOING TO FILL IN THESE HAZARDS. I THINK IT'S TIME FOR THE BOATING PUBLIC TO DO THE REPAIR THEMSELVES BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY HURT.

Sunset over Hither Crick.
Sunset from Quaise Point. Note the Canada Geese off Pocomo Meadows.
Low tide at Petrel Landing.
Dock dogs.
Dock dog.
Dock dog.
Offshore lobster boat, Merlin at Old North Wharf.
Dreamland Theater under construction.
Merlin's stern man.
Captain Chuck Butler, owner of the offshore lobster boat, Merlin with a load of lobster pots.
A calm and quiet scene taken at Hulbert Ave.
Sunset over Hulbert Ave.
Sunset over Hulbert Ave.
Old bulkheads, Hulbert Ave.
Town Pier at dusk.




The day boat, Pedlar here for the summer fluke season. I've always liked the looks of this old girl.


BUCK OF THE WEEK:
I set up one of my trail cams overlooking a pile of cut apples. This little guy came to investigate. I will be documenting his antler development throughout the summer. Stay tuned-




6 comments:

Sharon said...

Writing this a few days after you posted, I think we have summer now! It's been rather warm lately. :-)

This is a beautiful set, Martie. I especially liked your Hulbert Ave set.

Sharon

Martie said...

Thanks, Sharon. Yes, I spoke too soon. We had a couple of nice warm days but now it's right back to Junuary. I keep harping about how nice last summer was. We'll never see that again in our lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for posting! Am a New Englander living in South Florida, so I miss these old New England seaside photos!

Happy Weekend!

Linda

Martie said...

Thank you, Linda. Glad you are enjoying my blog.

Jaime Michele Connelly said...

Beautiful photos! Glad you are back on the blog! I love the Hulbert ones as well!!! Hope you are well my friend!!

Martie said...

Thanks, Jame. Glad you are enjoying my blog.