Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Day Of Commercial Bay Scalloping 2011

The first day of the 2011 commercial bay scallop season went well. Much better than I expected. I got my 5 bushel limit in three tows. Not bad.

A few things I noticed while I was fishing this morning-

1) There is absolutely no eelgrass out there. This is not good. The season won't last long when there is no grass. The fishing is too easy without the heavy grass to deal with.
2) Good news is that there is a fair amount of seed in a lot of areas. Even if half of the seed lives, next season looks good.
3) Only a few areas of the harbor have scallops. The fleet will clean out these areas in a very short time.

I'll try to grab a few pictures tomorrow morning when I'm out there on the water. Stay tuned.

No comments: