Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2007

Whale Bubble Net Feeding


I shot the above video of a whale bubble net feeding when I went out on Blair Perkin's boat, the Shearwater, back in July of 2005. The whale creates a tall circular net out of bubbles deep under the water as it exhales. It then goes up through the net where the bait fish are trapped with it's mouth wide open. When the whale gets to the surface, it swims off with it's mouth partially closed straining the sea water through it's baleen and eats the fish that were in the net.


Click here for an explanation of bubble net feeding


Three western rigged trawlers were in at the docks this morning. The United States and the Luso American 2 were at the Town Pier. There was another boat at the Dockmaster's Office. I did not catch her name. I'm not sure why these guys are coming in here late at night and leaving the next morning.

The Ruthie B is still in. It's going on two weeks since she's gone out and made a trip. I heard she got a new dredge a few days ago.

Five guys went out scalloping today. I spoke to one who fishes in Madaket and he told me he got two bushels after going hard at it all day long.

I'm going to add a new feature here at the end of the post. The daily high and low temperature.

Today's High & Low Temperatures:

High 51.4
Low 33.1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why these guys are coming in here late at night and leaving the next morning.

I think they can use the dockage reciept to avoid losing a 'day at sea'.